Sunday 24 May 2009

Gutted

Well, the inevitable came to pass. Newcastle United were relegated from the EPL today after another abject display from the team. I am not sure what upsets me the most: being relegated, or the manner in which we went down.  You would have thought that Premiership survival meant something to these players and that they would have been fighting for their lives out there, but no.  The last shot on goal was in the 20th minute.  Says it all really. Mind you, I can't say I'm surprised. This has been coming for the last 3 seasons, and the on and off pitch performances this season have finally exposed the inherent weaknesses at the club. Millions of pounds wasted on average players, 9 managers in 3 years, bizarre appointments in the boardroom have finally taken there toll. The team has been woefully short on pace, imagination and flair and that is just not good enough in this league. I just hope that the club stick with Shearer, listen to what he says and rebuild the club based on the excellent talent we have in the youth team.
Peversely, I think this may be the best thing that could have happened to the club; it could be the wake up call that we need, and I am looking forward to seeing the likes of Vuckic, Ranger and Lua Lua really establish themselves.
Shay Given and Charles N'Zogbia must be killing themselves laughing.

No comments:

Post a Comment